Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Themed Weddings Are Back!

As I sit  here on the eve of the biggest wedding in the world, I thought I would share some of the latest trends for upcoming weddings. Theme weddings that had been on hiatus are back and bigger than ever!

I will showcase some fun examples of 3 or 4 thematically driven weddings. I will admit that I am a bit spoiled in having 2 offices. One in Charleston allows the beauty of the beach while the other in New York City allows for such theatrical and elegant back drops.



The Vintage Wedding
One of the biggest request that we have gotten out of both offices would be the Vintage Wedding.

The vintage wedding can be taken in so many fun directions. However one of the easiest ways to start is of course with your invitation. the key here is to find a lovely design element that can be held and carried throughout the wedding.

design elements



Then something fun to think about next would be your vintage table setting. I have seen this go a number of different ways. I fell in love with this look though.
 I think it's just the plain simplicity of it that I just adore.  Another fun option if you wish to go a little more exciting is:
 This I found right out of a catalogue and just love the candles at every table and how perfect they match the chivari chairs.

Vintage Cake:
 I love the ornate look this has. Colors that I have found that are hugely popular this year are more bold and brassy. Deep Purples, Royal Blues, Golds, Silvers.


Vintage has so many possibilities for the dress the bridesmaid dresses, I love the freedom to interpret through the bride's own vision of what she sees as vintage.


Napa/Vineyard inspired Wedding

 Unless this is a destination wedding in Napa, it is sometimes challenging to create. However, with some careful creativity, you can absolutely bring Napa to you. Some of the most fun ideas that I thought of when designing an event like this would be to feature wine bottle chandeliers.
 These can totally be made and hung. They look amazing in the proper light.

Next I of course would do a fun paired wine dinner with several courses and several wines. How much fun would it be to have your very own sommelier at every guests' table. OK, now I may be dreaming., . . so if budget is an issue and you can't do that, you can absolutely have someone that knows your wines telling your guests about every single fun detail.

Now if a seated dinner is not what you would like to do and want to keep it as stations a fun thing to do would be to have a series of wine tastings set up throughout the room to compliment each food station. make sure to have placards designed that tell your guests about each wine they are trying.

A fun take away item for a theme like this would be to have us call one of our amazing vendors who will order a signature wine that has the bride and grooms name on it create a cool wine  gift bag and voila, the bride and groom have their own signature vintage,

Modern Weddings
More and more these days I get calls from brides who want a modern wedding. YET: and I say YET because there is always a caveat! Generally the bride wishes for a modern wedding and all the mother of the bride ever wanted was a simple chic and elegant classic wedding. Well how do I pull this one off? BRILLIANT question! Here are some ideas to enjoy a chic elegant modern wedding.

The Invite:
 OK, so here's the deal: the modern part is that it was printed on recycled paper  and of course the lay out. This was not one of my all time favorites. However THIS:

 I am ABSOLUTELY in love with! Look at the brilliant wrap on it. Loving the font choice and loving the elegance of it as well.

One of the things I think alot of people over do is florals. I have always thought that keeping it simple elegant and modern speaks wonders for the center piece. Here are some fun ideas for center pieces. Orchids Orchids Orchids. Love love love. You can totally make a beautiful installation piece without going over the top and it's just LOVELY.





What to do with the Cake? Here are some crazy fun examples of what has been done:

They call it the Donald Trump Cake



Elegant and Modern Marry well!

So no matter what style you want, take that theme and run with it baby. This is absolutely one of my favorite parts of the process. Finding out exactly what the bride has for her vision then getting creative and not cookie cutting anything and creating the magic that is her fairy tale.

Remember for all things entertaining style: keep up with me on facebook. Friend me at Lawson Roberts. You can also follow me on twitter @lawsonroberts.

Every Sunday from 11-1 you can enjoy my nationally syndicated radio show called The Sunday Morning Mimosa.

You can also catch me on ABC television as their official entertaining style contributor. Thanks so much for reading and until next time. . CHEERS!


No comments:

Post a Comment