Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Easy like a Sunday Morning

Only in the south do they offer as much pomp and circumstance as they do for a baby's christening/baptism. I was invited to a cousin's child's baptism the other week. It was truly a lovely affair. That is if you can embrace all that its southern roots entail. So here's the story:

I got up early after making sure everything was done properly with the recorded portion of my radio program and headed to St. Michael's church in historic Charleston SC. Without question, one of Charleston's most lavishly adorned and historic churches in the city.
WE enjoyed a lovely sermon, and the baptism went off without a hitch. Baby did not cry, wiggle or anything. She was a precious little angel. How amazing. I mean I can not imagine just how embarrassing it is to have your child screaming bloody murder while having water placed on its head in front of 300 of your nearest and dearest friends. I am about to get to the best part.

It is often said coming from the south the best part of a baptism, or funeral is of course the repast that is offered at some one's home after. I tend to disagree with this. In all of my 35 years (albeit still relatively young) it seems that someone would have thought to change the menu. You can predict it like clock work: tea sandwiches that are bland chicken salad, shrimp paste that is truly not that bad, a honey baked ham, cheese, fruit salad, deviled eggs and some sort of sweets offering. I mean it NEVER changes.



I challenge all of my southern friends to thing outside of the epicurean box and do something new. Some people go a little crazy and have chilled crab dip and pimento cheese. Do you sense the sarcasm? It would be cool and I wouldn't believe it if I saw it, if someone would do something different.

It has been noted that the south is quite content with no change and keeping a good thing good. However, I would love to see the day that someone offers something besides the same old same old. I would even be excited to see a new play on an old classic.

However, all in all, food excluded, it could not have been a more beautiful day and a beautiful girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment