Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

GLAAD Roof Top Event. . A hot time in the city!

Well it's been a week now that I have been feverishly working on the new event division up in New York. I really truly feel that everything that I have been doing up until now is all coming together to make this venture a resounding success. With that being said, I am a huge supporter of a charity called GLAAD which is an acronym for The Gay and Lesbian Alliance against defamation. Their website states:

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) amplifies the voice of the LGBT community by empowering real people to share their stories, holding the media accountable for the words and images they present, and helping grassroots organizations communicate effectively. By ensuring that the stories of LGBT people are heard through the media, GLAAD promotes understanding, increases acceptance, and advances equality.




Tuesday Night they had their annual Summer fund raiser at 230 5th avenue on the rooftop. It could not have been a more beautiful night. I wrangled myself a cowboy for a date. . well the Cowboy. . being Randy Jones the original cowboy from the Village People.


We arrived and did the red carpet entry where media took pictures and asked a bunch of questions. Randy was happy to report that now that Gay marriage is legal in the city, he is being ordained as a minister and will be more than happy to do any wedding. . I think the caveat is that he has to sing Y-M-C-A at the reception!!! Randy made a wonderful date as expected as he knows everyone and is always so kind to introduce me to all kinds of fabulous people. As we rolled upstairs we were greeted by throngs of people.

they estimate approximately 800 guests were in attendance.

Servers passing Brazilian inspired menu items, cocktails flowing. . and great music all equate to a really fabulous event. As the evening progressed cooler temperatures prevailed and the party was really getting HOT! I ran across Lance Bass who was enjoying himself with friends all for a good cause.
Lawson with musical performer and actor Lance Bass


As an event producer, the devil is always in the details. I stepped back for a moment took a deep breathe and realized that I was in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Can you imagine having this as our view the other night?
Even the flowers that were the back drop of the bar were both colorful and beautifully lit.


The evening continued on with silent auction items and guests sitting back and enjoying the breeze. I am truly honored to be working in a city such as New York. Now to be able to offer our services for GLBT weddings and be able to add that special creative touch that we are known for continues to excite me.

You never know who you are going to meet at these events. These guys are in television production.


at the end of the event we were invited to a club called La Pomme to enjoy a cocktail. From there I took Randy and company to one of my new favorite watering holes: Hour Glass for a glass of wine. I ran into Broadway performer Brandon Wardell. . who I had known from Charleston. As should every good bar, Beth, the owner keeps a keyboard and an amp upstairs in her office just for these kinds of occasions. We set it up and in typical New York style, I was entertaining on piano while Broadway voices sung to the wee hours of the morning.

I will be offering our entertaining style BLOG once a week from here on out. It will be designed to keep you up to date with all of the fun happenings in our world plus offer insights on the latest trends of events, and entertainment.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment