Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Let's Go Wedding Trending!!!

“I want the reception to be different. . . I want it to stand out. . . How can I do something cool?” These are the questions that I hear time and time again from my brides.

I often suggest creating a signature station of some type. Specialty stations such dessert bars, candy bars, cognac and cigar bars, barista stations, and  wine bars are all options that I have offered in the past.


Budgets are tight in this economy so we are seeing a lot of brides go back to the standard 3 course seated dinner. However, there is still a trend of having one or many specialty stations following dinner.

Brides are opting to lose the wedding cake and replace it with varied choices from a creatively designed sweets bar. I like to do these bars on several levels and I also like to use whenever possible whimsical colors that take us back to our childhoods. Let’s face it, the saying kid in a candy store still has meaning even today!

One of the other assets of using a candy/sweets bar is that it gives the guests  the ability to enjoy a variety of items at their leisure.
 What started as cupcakes and then the playful candy bar has now emerged into a course that offers wide varieties of after dinner sweets options. From small tarts, pies and cakes, to signature jelly beans, initialed m&m’s all the way to creative pastry chef driven items, the possibilities are endless.


I always offer guests a uniquely created bag or small box that they can help themselves to the bar and then of course have the option of taking it home with them.  I enjoy pairing  the  dessert bar with a barista station and offering some fun blends of coffee for all to enjoy.


Another growing trend is that comfort/drunk food at the end of the night. Let’s face it, guests have enjoyed an open bar and have been having a good time. Some times in fact, too good of a time and they may be a little tipsy. You don’t just have to pass the same old tired foods.

 I like to add some flavor to our events and incorporate one of the hugest trends in the country and that’s offering street foods. Now if the event is an outside one, I will have a food truck pull up towards the end of the night and start serving. It creates such a cool vibe. I have even had a scenario where I had multiple food trucks arrive to offer a variety of street foods. Savory crepes,  fresh cut boardwalk style French fries, portabello fries, gelato, grilled paninis. . . the possibilities are endess! 

I like to often add the extra touch of some street performers roaming. Fire Breathers, stilt walkers, unicycle riders, caricature artists and you have a brilliant and memorable end to an amazing celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment