Search This Blog

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Spoleto Day 1 an Adventure in DANCE my meeting with Renee Robinson

I say it time and time again. I adore returning to Charleston (my home town) every year to cover the Spoleto Festival.  I recently had been in town producing a series of high end weddings so it made it rather convenient to be home to get a head start for prepping for the epic 17 days that is Spoleto.

For those of you that don't know, the festival of 2 cities was originally founded in Spoleto Italy back.  It's founder and original artistic director Gian Carlo Menotti searched for a city that resembled the architecture, weather, cultural climate as his Italian festival and Charleston was the perfect fit.

Here we are decades later and a festival that is not only thriving but making its mark on the entire world from its creative collaborations to its phenomenal art offerings.

Day number one started with coffee at what seems to be a standard stopping place during the festival for many. Saffrons restaurant located at 333 East Bay Street was the location chosen for me to interview the incomparable Renee Robinson of Alvin Ailey fame.  Upon walking in, I was greeted by Ali the owner who kindly reminded me just how much he LOVED Spoleto. Not only did he remind me, he made a point to show me the ad he placed in the Piccolo Spoleto ( the sister festival)'s program book. Not only that, he took a picture down off the wall and showed me. It was he and Gian Carlo where he had made pizza for him years ago. He then in typical form,  asked that I show the picture in my story.  I'm really not clear how a picture of him making pizza for Gian Carlo has ANYTHING to do with my soon to be interview with Renee Robinson. However, I smiled and went on to set up my shot.

After a needed cup of coffee, Renee walked in. I  really should say sauntered. She had this elegance about her that was unmistakable.  You know this may sound strange but upon shaking her hand, I guess it was her perfume, body lotion or something but it had a most familiar scent to it. She smelt like gardenias! It was hypnotic! So we chatted for a moment before rolling the cameras. It turns out she had just gotten into town the night before and a member of the company actually lives in Charleston.  They had a huge family dinner for the entire company complete with Shrimp and Grits, Fried Chicken, Mac and cheese. . I'm talking the works.  I told her about Lowcountry in Chelsea in NYC and she could't believe it.

The interview that will be airing all over, can be seen on my youtube channel later this week. We shared her unique take on the company and the direction that it is heading. We even got to chatting about the piece that they are probably most famous for. Revelations! Look for my review of their show coming soon! However, it was within minutes that not only did I know she was a flawless interview, but I new I had made a life long friend. I am so a believer of that. Putting yourself out there and meeting amazing people. Her take on the world is nothing  short of inspiring.


Stay tuned as I will be giving you an insider scoop on Spoleto Jazz that NO ONE knew about. . even when the performance was over.  It's Lawson Roberts Lifestyles for Spoleto.

MANY MORE BLOGS TO COME.



Remember to keep up with us in a couple of different ways:

Like us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/Lawsonrobertsllc

Follow us on Twitter at : http://www.twitter.com/lawsonroberts

Listen to us on:                 http://www.weddingsradio.fm


No comments:

Post a Comment