Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

LR does SPOLETO

Charleston is known for many things. It is known for its rich history, its fabulous cuisine and dining scene and for 17 days it is known as the host for an international arts festival known as Spoleto.

 Now don't get me wrong: Charleston does have its year round arts agencies. Some quite fabulous. . while others. .well community theater is what it is. . and that's TERRIBLE. in any case: I have a spoilt eye and palate for the arts. I expect the best and demand it from all of our performers. It is by saying this one can clearly see why I adore this time of year and manage to stay out of my NYC offices for 3 whole weeks.

For those of you who may not know: Spoleto Festival was brought to Charleston back in 1975 by founder Gian Carlo Mennotti. It has had its ups and downs financially. These days, mainly ups!





It's energizing, it is exhilarating. . it is what the arts is supposed to be about. Some pieces just out there and spine tingling brilliant, while others. . make you ask what the hell did I just see.Either way, it is the talent that is showcased during the 17 days that just brings an entirely different energy to the city.

This year I am covering the festival for my nationally syndicated radio program The Sunday Morning Mimosa, ABC television both locally and nationally in some instances, I will also be giving you my readers reviews, an inside scoop on what's happening within the festival, festival fashion, festival gossip,pictures from back stage, admission into exclusive society events and more.

I will be starting with an overview of everything that we will be seeing this season. Each night you may expect that I will offer our own creative insight to each piece and then give you an idea of how I and whatever guest I took with me that particular evening thought about the piece.

Get ready. . It's going to be a fun 17 days. On your mark, get set. . . . SPOLETO!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment