Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Behind the Cat Walk Charleston Fashion Week: oh the glama!!!!


When I was approached to cover Charleston Fashion Week by our producers, my initial thought was I love going to the shows so why not. Then I had this horrible fear roll over my entire body. Just what the hell do I know about female fashion? How am I to report accurately and give you my readers the inside scoop. Then it me. I will totally take it from a different perspective. I will totally take you behind the catwalk and let you see just how these kind of shows are produced and take place. I will give you the details from fabulous to fanatical.

I started getting my press credentials and ran into Vail Duggan who is in charge of wrangling all of us media types. Her first comment was do I need any help with interviews. I quickly thanked her and said. . I think we've got this.

I went downstairs and ran right into CFW founder Ayoka Lucas and had a delightful conversation with her for the radio show. I really MUST say: this is a woman who has got it going on! Her creative dream 6 years ago on how to make Charleston come alive with fashion is now celebrating its 5th year. It is entirely a tribute to her. It is well beyond my scope as to why she is still in Charleston. She belongs in a huge market doing huge things. However, from the vantage point of all fashion people in Charleston, I know they are thrilled that she remains at the helm of the fashion world in SC.
Ayoka Lucas founder of CFW

My Tuesday continued interviewing 3 female models for the radio show. Robin Lee was kind enough to arrange the sit down at last moment for me. Unexpectedly, there was a documentary being shot of me conducting my interview. . .kind of odd. . but fun none the less.

Okay enough with that. .let's get down to the fun stuff! it's show time baby. The style lounge this year was again designed by Gathering. I will go on record stating that it was VERY understated. A red and white color scheme that transpired throughout the tent. Red is the appropriate color as it had to have been 80 degrees in the style lounge. Charleston is known for its crazy weather this time of year. Either freezing or scorching. . ever heard of spring?

One of the first people I run into in the style lounge is Andrew Peterson from the Cos Bar. He was holding a microphone and interviewing a CBS affiliate reporter Nicole Johnson. I found it odd. However, after seeing the produced product online today, it was kind of fun! Andrew always wears fun clothing and you bet your ass his makeup looks good all the time.
Andrew chatting and getting set for another fun interview. Look out Bill Sharpe!


So as sweat was pouring off the forehead, my cohort in crime from Charleston Bliss;Jessica Reid and I grabbed a cocktail and proceeded to stand around in front of the tents chatting it up with all kinds of fun people. We ran into Bubba Bryant from Army Wives just at the most perfect time.

Bubba Bryant

 A lovely real life army wife came up to him thanking for what the show does and how they portray real life AW. It was really sweet. As it turned out, Bubba and I sat across the run way from each other and a fun texting session proceeded to happen during the show. I was asking him, what is the proper look that you have on your face during the shows, especially if you don't really like an outfit. He commented back to just look intrigued and that would get us out of the dog house!

Quiana Parler opened the show in her alto fabulousness! She is always a show stopper and last night was no exception.
Quiana Parler wearing She She NY


Designers included: rapport, Copper Penny, 4 emerging designers and a crowd that was dressed impeccably.

I will totally admit that the hot flashes and sweat from the tents got to me and I ended up heading to HUSK for some rose cava before heading to Social for the first of 2 after parties with my other partner in crime Justin Edgar. 3 glasses later, we were ready to hit up Social Wine Bar and they had one hell of a party in store. It was absolutely everything bubbles. Owner, Brad Ball's infatuation with bubbles is right up my alley.


Justin and I stayed for one before heading over to Torch.



Brad Ball






We walked into to Torch having been met by Dr. Matt who was dressed up as the mad hatter. the theme of the event was somewhat Alice in Wonderland and a crazy hat theme. Sadly, besides some employees, no one took that theme anywhere. It was Tuesday night after all. They did have the back opened up with tent and lounge furnishings from Boris over at Event Dr's. It was quite the chic look. Their entertainment onstage inside the bar was very cool. DJ meets keyboard meets vocalist and percussion.  After midnight it got even  crazier.
Justin and I headed to The Belmont for a night cap and that was evening number 1.

As we continue this week, look out for our tragically dressed list plus insider scoop on hair and make up design. Did you know these models arrive at 3:00 PM for a 7:00 show and go through hours of hair and make up daily? We'll chat with some models through out the week as well. We will also keep you in the loop on all after parties. Thanks for reading and enjoying Behind the Catwalk.

Remember for all things entertaining style: check out my website: http://www.lawsonroberts.com/  also friend me on face book @lawsonroberts or follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/lawsonroberts

L.

No comments:

Post a Comment