Search This Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Frat Parties at FASHION WEEK? What the HELL? Back stage perspectives and parties galore!

Friday afternoon started off with a cocktail party honoring the opening of K. Cooper Ray's Social Primer pop up shop downtown at Billy Reid.




Ok, so as I pulled up, there was a line around the block to get in. Everyone was wearing bow ties in true Cooper fashion. As I got closer though, the guys in line looked more like a bus group from the Carolina Cup. I mean 19 years old at best and straight out of the frat houses.

I ran into Leah Jerden (Cooper's PR Rep) and I asked what was with the really young demo and she told me that Cooper had partnered with 2 College of Charleston frat boys who also acted as hosts and invited the boys from the frat houses apparently.

You could totally tell that the owners of Billy Reid were less than pleased to have all the kids in their store. However, in my opinion if it equates out to sales for Social Primer then all is good with the world. So just to hammer my point: the only 2 options to drink were Heineken and Bourbon. Again, so frat-tastic it wasn't funny.

 HUSK had catered the food and it was a combination of smoked sausages, domestic local cheeses, and artisanal breads. It was legit so packed in there, you could not move. I left and headed over to HUSK where I would not be one of the oldest people in the room.

As I walked in ordering my favorite Rose Cava, I looked at the bar staff and they asked if I had been to Billy Reid. I said you mean the Frat Party? they laughed and said they had heard the same thing.

I headed down to the tents with excitement to see Noula and the Sucker Jeans show.

 It was due to be the opening line Friday night. I popped back stage and dropped a cocktail off for Noula, and ended up staying and styling several Ascots for the models.  It was so much fun. It was at that point that a whole new perspective of what happens for any fashion week is realized. The machine that runs the front of the house is met by an even bigger machine that runs the over 100+ models each night backstage. This is not mentioning the hair and make up artists.



I had some great conversations with the models and then promptly went to take my seat to watch the Sucker show. It did not disappoint at all. AMAZING to be exact. Just the right amount of social elegance with modern flair!

At the end of that show, I went backstage again and that is where I stayed for the remainder of the show up until intermission. I ran into veteran vocalist Quiana Parler and it was so nice to catch up with her. She had been out on tour with Clay Aiken in support of his new album. Ironically, I had no idea that he had even been in the studio. She said the schedule, because of the weather, was brutal!

On the break, I ran into Bubba Bryant from Army Wives and discussed what he had been up to. I even got the inside scoop on tonight's episode. I clearly can't tell you who dies. However, it will be a shocker and tear jerker for sure!

The 2 after parties that evening were to be at Halls and Barsa.


I was a bit confused as to why anyone would have scheduled an after party at Halls on a normally busy Friday night. It seems to me that the night to do Halls would have been early in the week. I told Billy  Hall to expect a shit show and sure enough it came. You couldn't move in there. Great night for them. Not user friendly at all. I found Jessica Reid my partner in crime and ended up going across the street to O-KU. They were packed but still could manage it. That turned into Dudleys and somehow heading to Pantheon. I gave Jessica a unique perspective of the show from backstage. That's always a unique experience who doesn't know how all of "that" works.

The evening ended well with a champagne toast to the last day of CFW coming up tomorrow. Almost done almost done almost done!!!!! Stay tuned. We'll take you behind the scenes of the finale party tomorrow.

Remember to keep with us on all things entertaining style. the website is http://www.lawsonroberts.com/. Friend me on facebook @lawsonroberts or follow me on twitter as well. www.twitter.com/lawsonroberts

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

L.

No comments:

Post a Comment